Richard,

   Both of the cables supplied by ICOM are sealed cables at both ends.  ICOM
supplies the OPC-1799 Data Communications cable with only 3 pins connected
to the DB 9 connector

  pin 2 (+5v)

  pin 3 (Clone > CPU)

  pin 5 (TX232)

    So in their infinite wisdom they supply a 12 Pin Jack Assembly on the
radio to a 9 Pin Sub D Connector using only 3 wires!

  I mean come on ICOM .  supply us with a cable terminated to the 9 Pin Sub
D so we can break out the signals as we desire. OK charge me another $55 for
the cable. but at least provide it so we can determine what we as a user
want to interface to our radio!

   Yeah those microphones actually cost about the same as the ICOM
microphone less the radio cable. So you can purchase cables to adapt to most
commercial radios on the market but your getting a stand alone GPS unit, a
microphone you can adapt to all of your radios, and the ability to send
short text messages. The DTMF tones for the longest message only burst for
about 1.5 seconds if I remember correctly. You can see other team members on
your display from your location by distance and elevation. You can also
click on the desired team member ICON and address your text message to the
individual or to your whole team.

Barry

KA0BBQ