Mike,

   This may be a bit of semantics but for the sake of argument if the USB
interface on the Garmin GPS isn't serial. then what is it?

    USB is a serial interface hence Universal Serial Bus!

    I think the problem becomes which class of device your attempting to use
with which device drivers.  That's why different USB to DB9 connectors
appear to work differently with different pieces of equipment. You may find
some device drivers will work when others won't depending on the device
class and it's host controller speeds.

   I have found that the DYNEX
<http://www.dynexproducts.com/p-197-dynex-16-usb-pdaserial-adapter-cable.asp
x>  DX-UBDB9 works best for most of my serial conversion requirements and
the ICOM RS-91 & RS-92 Software.  I don't have any other D*STAR Radios yet
to test on.  There are exceptions however and that's where the more
expensive MCT USB
<http://www.mct.com.tw/web_e/html/technology_2.asp?ParentCID=0001>  232
Converter U232-P9(2.4) recommended by Garmin and www.pfranc.com comes in
handy. Not to mention it has a Link, TX & RX LED to show signaling. I use it
with my KAM TNC.

So if you think we have enough problems just wait till the USB 3.0 start
appearing on the market. We will have even more problems to deal with as if
there weren't enough between serial standards like RS232, USB 1.0, USB 1.1,
USB 2.0. So it's like are standards really standards? It can only become
more fun!

~Barry