Bruce,

    I don’t think there is enough use of D*STAR here in Denver yet to
dictate our users shifting to simplex use unless were on an operation and in
close proximity of other users.

   We do already have a suggested simplex matrix in Denver not only for
D*STAR VHF & UHF but also working channels for various ARES Districts in the
Denver Metro Area.

   Were using 145.670MHZ DV for VHF Calling and 146.505MHz Interoperation

   Were using 446.100MHZ DV for UHF Calling and 445.950MHz Interoperation

   Then we have 4 VHF and 4 UHF Simplex frequencies set up for ARES
Districts in our FEMA North Central Region.  To my understanding this
helpful list was set up by one of our first D*STAR advocates Randy NQ0R
which is very familiar with radio communications in our region and made a
best effort not to assign frequencies already used for other groups like
PACKET and Simplex Analog Voice.

   I am not understanding why a D*STAR user would not be hearing analog
users unless they turned of FM DET on their D*STAR radios. It should be
detecting an analog signal while in DV mode and switch your DV mode to FM
Narrow while receiving the signal.  On the other hand if an analog user
hears a hiss intermittently breaking squelch they should over time become
familiar with other shared services on the air much like we do on HF!

73

Barry Wilson

KA0BBQ