From: Ernest Kapphahn <bookcollec...@volcano.net>
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:39:06 AM
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: Pathway obstruction Analog versus Digital

You can't draw too many conclusions from experience with one repeater.  On the
reflectors, you will notice that some repeaters have quite a bit of R2D2 and
some have very few signals with R2D2. Fine tuning a repeater to maximize HT
performance is more difficult on DV because you can't hear and easily identify
the sources of problems.  Site noise, intermod, and signals on the input from
out of area users combined with the possibility of a bad cable or connector all
could result in poor weak signal performance.  It takes time to identify and
correct these problems.

Your experience with "noisy" DV inside the house on an HT on two meters is not
uncommon.  You might have better luck on UHF.  There seem to be a lot of noise
generators in the two meter spectrum in the average home.  DV is degraded by
interference as well as weak signals. If you are getting into the repeater
better than you are hearing it, you may have local QRM.  Take a listen in FM
mode on the repeater output and see what you hear. It's possible you could turn
off an appliance and get rid of the noise. Computers, cable and satellite TV
boxes are known suspects.

Ernie
W6KAP