On Oct 5, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Radioman wrote:

> Hi John,
> Tnks..
> so what is the commonly used release of CentOS for the Gateway?
> 4 or 5?
>
> Tony
> NN1D

You'll probably get better "Gateway-specific" answers from the Gateway
lists... usually frequented only by Gateway admins... this list is for
general D-STAR discussion for all.  The Gateway lists are a bit more
"specialized".

However, to answer your question, the latest CentOS 5 version (as of
today) works just fine.  The Icom instruction manual screenshots are
done with a slightly older release, so it helps if you've played with
CentOS/Linux Installs and know what you're doing.

Also helps a lot to read the Icom documentation that comes with the
Gateway software and understand what they're trying to accomplish, if
you're familiar with Linux, there are "easier" ways to edit the system
files and set up their stuff... but they cater to the lowest common
denominator and show people how to do it via the GUI applications that
RedHat makes for administration of their flavor of Linux.

(Things like setting up the IP addresses, etc... are usually done via
just editing text files on Linux systems, but hey... if you like GUI
admin... whatever floats your boat.)

If you have zero experience with Linux, I highly recommend sticking to
the Icom examples.  And if you have any networking knowledge, throw it
out the window... Icom's weird-assed networking setup is necessary for
what their application does, once it's loaded.

However since the box is supposed to be installed behind a NAT/
firewall device... there's not MUCH point in running the host-based
firewall on CentOS, and honestly... their examples make it harder than
it needs to be.  I personally recommend just shutting off the host-
based firewall and putting something that works well at the point in
the network design where the NAT/firewall box goes on the "external"
10.x.x.x network interface on the Gateway.  It'll save you headaches,
probably.

You need the following:

A NAT router capable of handling a full Class C of addresses behind
the NAT.  (Many Small Office/Home Office routers are limited to NOT
being able to do NAT for the entire 10.x.x.x RFC 1918 private address
range -- these will not work.  Personally I've been overjoyed with the
flexibility of using a router from the folks that do the MikroTik
software and RouterBoard, but they're not cheap.)

A server that meets the Icom minimum hardware standards.  (Contact
Icom, or look in the Gateway documentation for hardware
specifications, including two NIC cards and they also have some
processor speed requirements based on single-core CPU's, which are
rare these days, so extrapolation is in order...), RAM, etc.

The Icom Gateway V2 software, which is now (wasn't always) a
chargeable item, $299 I think.

You also MUST get up the installation instructions from the Trust
Server folks and follow them once the Icom Software installation is
complete.  (A "normal" D-STAR Gateway in the U.S. has a number of add-
on, non-Icom software packages running "along-side" or "on top of" the
Icom Gateway software, including dstarmonitor, APRS integration, and
dplus linking software.  The Trust Server folks have documentation on
how to accomplish the installation of all these items easily, and
correctly.)

Get on the "other" mailing lists.  There's an open list for DStar
Gateway operators that's generally a quiet but useful "discussion"
list, and an announcement-only list that is set up by the Trust Server
folks.  When you talk to them to get your Gateway registered, get the
e-mail list information too.  (We're talkin' maybe 10 postings a year
to their announce-only list, but when they post, they're important
stuff... the other list is just to keep the traffic off the other one,
but is *usually* quiet too.)

Other useful items: If and only if you feel comfortable with Linux and
know what you're doing, consider firing up sendmail on the box and
configuring it properly to send you the root user's e-mail, since
CentOS installs some "decent" monitoring scripts by default.  Also
comes in handy for this next one...

Google around for the instructions on how to have an Icom Gateway e-
mail you when someone requests a registration.  Why the whole
registration process isn't centralized, is anyone's guess... but every
Gateway also has a web-server for your local users to register on the
network, and logging in all the time to see if someone wants to
register is lame.  Someone put up information about how to add an e-
mail alert to the Tomcat code, and it works fine.  Get that going.

Final thoughts: Registrations and what-not, and also knowing how the
Gateway server works is a two-person job, if you ask me.  I'm "stuck"
as the only person knowing our local system, and handling
registrations and eventually I'll burn out on it or lose interest.
Should have involved more volunteers from the start.  Now not really
finding any... who want to spend a few hours learning how the guts work.

I hear from some other GW Admins that the Icom America tech support
folks (mainly Gerry) are good at getting confused folks up and
running.  I never had to call him, but e-mails to get the registration
of the GW itself into the U.S. Trust network took a couple of days,
which is really good in the grand scheme of tech support... but some
people get all whiny about it.  Don't expect to fire up a GW in a few
hours and have it 100% working... it'll take a little bit of time.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com