On Jan 20, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

> My recommendation (which is severely debated here by others, but it is my
> opinion). Forget about learning call sign routing, just don’t worry about it.
> Learn how to link and unlink a repeater from another repeater or module and
> sit back and feel good about what you’ve learned.  If you want to talk to the
> Japan stations you will need calls sign routing, as they are still on old
> software without DPLUS.

Cat, I won't debate (I have in the past) Ed's opinion on this, I'll just offer
a different viewpoint:

Learn D-PLUS linking FIRST, but don't stop there.  Like I said, there's no
"deadline" for learning.  Do it at your own pace.  If it takes a year after you
learn D-PLUS linking before you get around to doing callsign routing, fine.
But don't write it off.  It's a useful tool when you're searching for someone
and all you have is their callsign... assuming they have also learned how to
hit the RS-CS button and reply...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com