On 2/9/2010 11:24 AM, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

With the popularity of hotspots, cross-band repeaters and other devices, I got to thinking about the legal classification of these devices and what it means to their operation. I don't really want to start a 400 message discussion, but to allow each of you to contemplate what you believe to be in accordance to the law where you live.

No debate necessary.  Easier to base the answer on facts. :-)

ARRL's Legal Counsel (Chris Imlay) made it clear that simplex EchoLink and IRLP stations were Auxiliary Stations many years ago after consultation with various FCC folks. FCC never published a written opinion.

Logically then, a D-STAR HotSpot is the same, with digital modulation instead of analog.

The usual problem that comes up when discussing this is that people don't READ in these mailing lists, and someone assuredly will think you're talking about REPEATERS, miss that you're talking about the HotSpot, and freak out. We'll see if this thread triggers that. ;-)

The reason this all came up heavily back then: Auxiliary Stations used to be banned in low VHF spectrum, and only allowable at 222.15 MHz and above. A rules change a number of years ago "fixed" that, probably because by then, there were hundreds and hundreds of illegally operating simplex EchoLink and IRLP nodes at the time. Part 97 has been changed.

IRLP and EchoLink went through this "what is it legally" process for the U.S.rules for simplex linked stations, ten years ago... ARRL published the answer far and wide, including in the magazine.

I've got the PDF somewhere... on a hard drive... somewhere... copyrighted by ARRL so I can't post it anywhere anyway... (I asked.) Other people have it posted on the web, and feel they'll go ahead and risk infringement of the Copyright. :-)

Nate WY0X