On 6/2/2010 5:39 AM, Woodrick, Ed wrote:
You've been a part of this same D-STAR Signal Coverage conversation many times and the answer is always the same, time after time. And you don't seem to see where even classic BER calculations have significant issues defining the quality of the signal that is received. The FEC plays havoc with classical signal measurements.

Actually Ed, I have always said the BER dropout point is a TEST point. A known place where you can compare system-to-system. You can't make better what you can't measure.

Been doing this kind of measurement (with and without FEC) for decades in land-line digital telco... it works just fine

If a company says, "at X% BER our chip gives up" then you have a known test point. FEC doesn't matter... because the FEC is included and part of that specification. The chip can have the best FEC in the world, it still drops out at the same point, time after time, consistently -- giving the perfect test point.

Nate WY0X