On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 01:53:05PM -0800, Adam Leventhal wrote:

> > >We chose to include 'op-' because we thought that it created better
> > >symmetry with 'compound-cb'. The 'op-' doesn't indicate that it's
> > >an  operation (that would be 'op-compound-start'; rather it
> > >indicates that its the  operation compound rather than the callback
> > >compound.
> >
> > nfsv4:::compound-proc-start
> > nfsv4:::compound-proc-done
> > nfsv4:::compound-proc-cb-start
> > nfsv4:::compound-proc-cb-done
> >
> > and to be complete
> >
> > nfsv4:::null-proc-start
> > nfsv4:::null-proc-done
>
> Why is that better? Can you explain a bit? It still seems as though you're
> still losing the symmetry between the compound operations and callbacks, but
> perhaps that's intentional.

I don't see that.  I think what Spencer and I are saying is that
COMPOUND is not an operation, but a procedure.  And folks who know the
protocol would expect the probe naming to reflect the procedure vs.
operation distinction.

It's mostly six of one and half-a-dozen of the other, but suppose v4.2
added a COMPOUND OP (no, I'm sure that wouldn't happen)...

I think the simplest thing to do is to let the probe names reflect the
protocol element names wherever probes relate directly to protocol
elements.  It may be wordier, but it will be less surprising to those
who know the protocol (and yes, I realize that the proponents here know
the protocol, much better than I know it too).

Nico