This is my overwhelming concern:

./d firefox-bin startup.d stop-js.d
dtrace -Zqw -x dynvarsize=64m -x evaltime=preinit -p 26713 -s startup.d -s stop-js.d -s sigcont.d
Total: 5080.276518ms

The only difference between the timing above and the one below is that I'm not using menu-construct.d.

My apologies for repeating the question but should I view 6.4350621ms/ 3.4218030ms as a percentage of startup time without the overhead of the measuring script or as a percentage of total time using it?

The difference to whether or not I should optimize the timed piece of code is, obviously, huge!

        Thanks, Joel