From: "Timo Koch" <timo.k...@iws.uni-stuttgart.de>
Sent: ‎7/‎23/‎2016 1:29 PM
To: "dumux@listserv.uni-stuttgart.de" <dumux@listserv.uni-stuttgart.de>; "NGO
Tri Dat" <tri-dat....@ifpen.fr>
Subject: Re: [DuMuX] Convergence problem with FoamGrid 2D3D + Box method

Hi Tri Dat,
On 22.07.2016 18:41, NGO Tri Dat wrote:

Hi Timo,

Thank you for your feedback!

For information, I have also a simulation of 2p flow in another 2d-in-3d DFN.
I considered the behavior of a LNAPL plume in a medium initially saturated with
water, hydrostatic pressure for initial condition (figure 1 & 2).
A no-flow Neumann BC is prescribed for the top and the bottom faces, and
Dirichlet BC otherwise.
Did you run that with Dumux?

The simulation run correctly (saturation Sn at the final time of simulation,
figure 3) but I got a strange pressure field at a fracture which is always
saturated in water (figure 4).

I’m not sure that this problem is due to boundary condition or the condition at
the intersection between fractures. In addition, the distribution of fluxes at
the intersections between fractures when using the box method  is not very
clear for me. Is the mass conservation at these locations ensured with box
method?
Mass conservation should come naturally with the box method at intersections.
As the degrees of freedom are on the intersection you enforce continuity of
pressure.
The fluxes are only computed on the box boundaries with are inside the elements
meeting at the intersection. The box control volume basically spans over all
three (or more)
intersecting elements at the fracture joint. So without doing anything special
the box method should ensure mass conservation here.

If you use cell-centered finite volumes this is different. First, the gradients
in the current dumux master branch would be approximated incorrectly in a 2d in
3d setting (basically cutting over the edge at an intersection). Secondly, the
intersections with neighboring elements of the other two (or more) fracture
will be handled as independent intersections. So to ensure the flow is
spreading right you would have to take care about mass conservation yourself. A
common approach (at least for one-phase flow, I'm not sure about 2-phase flow)
is a star-delta type analogy from electrical engineering. The flow (at an
intersection with three or more fractures) from one element to another then
depends on transmissibilities of all participating fractures.

Best wishes,
Timo

 Kind regards,
Tri Dat