Hello,

I have a Duo 280 (i.e. greyscale active matrix screen) which fails to
display a band of pixels about half a centimetre wide at Startup. The band
extends the whole width of the screen and is completely black. Once the Mac
OS screen is displayed the band disappears.

I assumed that this was just a quirk of the active matrix screen, having had
a passive matrix 230 before and not having seen any other active Duo
displays.

However on one occasion, the 280 did not recover and completed the Startup
with the missing rows of pixels. Looking closely at the desktop revealed
that information was not being lost, but instead the missing rows of pixels
were pushing everything else down. This was most evident in the fact that
the Trash can, which usually sits nicely in the bottom right hand corner,
was now chopped off at the bottom.

Restarting the machine returned it to its former behaviour so I dismissed it
again.

I have since bought a 250, i.e. also with an active matrix display, and it
does not show this behaviour at all. So now I'm worried - is my 280's screen
on the way out? Or is it a loose connection problem that can be fixed?

Any one else seen and solved this one?

Thanks,

Michael
_____________________
Michael Clemmetsen
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
Duo/2400 List, The friendliest place on the Net!
A listserv for users and fans of Mac subportables.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/DuoListFAQ.shtml>
Be sure to visit Mac2400! <http://www.sineware.com/mac2400>

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $199.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/MIH120.html>

PowerBook Guy is          |      Click here!
Everything PowerBook!     |      http://www.powerbookguy.com

Midwest Mac Parts  ][  <http://www.midwestmac.com>
After-market parts  for Macs.   ][  888-356-1104 ][

MacResQ Reader Specials: 2.5GB Seagate SCSI: $119, 4GB IBM SCSI: $199,
Norton Util. 4.0: $29, Mac Parts, Systems & Repairs <http://www.macresq.com>