On 23.08.2011 20:25, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> The size info is the problem.  Each backend returns a list of filenames, but
> getting size info is problematic.  That's going to be a major piece of work
> to get that info.

I am no pythonist per se, but is there a possibility to add a list_extended to
backends that would fetch these infos, if possible? So if a backend supports
these, they are there in a list structure
0=>{[name]=>,[size]=>,...},1=>{[name]=>,[size]=>,...},2=>....
if not (or if not implemented by now) only they are missing
0=>{[name]=>},1=>{[name]=>},2=>....

The victim of zero sized files here
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2011-08/msg00013.html used the
ftp backend, which actually could deliver this info.

> Downloading the file is not a good idea.  Performance would take a serious
> hit, i.e. double the time for backups.  If we could get file size info, we
> would know that the sizes were correct, and that's what we need.

agreed, see my verify does this point

> My guess is that the zero length files are really the last file transmitted
> before a backup failed.  Getting file sizes would help in proving this.

exactly my point. ede