Hi,

Ralph Glasstetter wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009 schrieb Cengiz Gunay:
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Francesco Fumanti wrote:
>>> There is another feature that I would welcome:
>>>
>>> It would be handy if it was possible to play the stream in
>>> different fast forward speeds (at least 16x and  32x) when
>>> searching for ads. This way the user would simply have to watch
>>> and press the stop button when an ad appears. He would not have
>>> to use the proportional slider, whose precision depends on the
>>> length of the movie being cut and the size of the window.
>
> Guess mplayer isn't fast enough for this. Just try replaying some
> videos with its -speed switch... on my CPU it's hardly possible to
> reach 8x speed! Better use the skip-shortcuts ...

Ok, so we can probably forget...

>> Adding to this, I'd suggest having shortcut keys for skipping 30s,
>> 1min, 5min to nearest I-frames, like in MPlayer and ProjectX. This
>> helps in finding commercials much simpler than using the slidebar.
>> I do like the slidebar and the exponential slidebar for
>> fine-tuning, but it gets tiring for doing the bulk of the job.

Indeed, that could be an alternative to fast forward.

> ... which are actually already there!
>
> Ever tried using the srcollwheel of your mouse while holding Alt-,
> Ctrl- or Shift-keys? Default wheel increments (in frames) are:
> wheel_incr_alt=22500 wheel_incr_ctrl=1 wheel_incr_normal=1500
> wheel_incr_shift=25 but you can adapt this in the settings file
> (~/.qt/dvbcut.sf.netrc) to your needs.
>
> BTW, with wheel_delta=-120 you can change the scroll direction... ;-)

Is it possible to use keyboard keys to jump forward and backward? In
fact, there are people that for accessibility reasons are not able to
handle a scroll wheel. If it is not yet possible, I would really
appreciate if the possibility  to jump forward and backward by keyboard
keys could be added to it; otherwise I will not be able to use that feature.

I would suggest using several keys instead of one key for forward jump
and one key for backward jump, coupled with modifiers to determine
different jump distances.

Of course, placing additional buttons for the jumps on the window would
make it even more userfriendly.

Concerning the settings file: it might be more easy to find it if it was
at the root level of the user's home directory ( ~/.dvbcut ) instead of
under .qt .

Finally, what about adding a Help menu to dvbcut, even if that help menu
only displays a simple text file with instructions about how to use
dvbcut and a faq.

Cheers

Francesco