Hi Tilman!

On 11/01/2012 20:59, Tilmann Reh wrote:

> from time to time I use DVBcut to cut TV recordings made with a PVR, and
> afterwards burn them on DVD.
>
> This has always worked perfectly fine with my "good old" PC (a P4
> running Windows XP Pro). However, after replacing that PC with a current
> one (Core i3 with Windows 7x64), playback of the video doesn't work
> correctly any more from within DVBcut. It appears as if there are some
> problems with the interaction of the two threads (DVBcut and MPlayer)
> and the operating system:

This rather mirrors my own use some years ago using Ralph Glasstetter's
build of DVBcut and Gianluigi Tiesi's build of Mplayer. For a while I
kept a mingw / qt3 build environment going myself under 32bit Windows XP
but gradually this has gone quite rusty as (mostly) I shifted across to
using VideoReDo H.264 on 64bit Windows 7.

> - The content of the video window is not constantly refreshed. Only if
>    redrawing the window area is necessary for some other reason (i.e.
>    moving another programs window overlapping to DVBcut), the related
>    part of the video window is correctly redrawn.
>    I assume that Windows 7 doesn't get the information that the content
>    of the DVBcut window needs to be refreshed due to new content of the
>    Mplayer window within it.

>    If Aero is activated, screen refresh seems to work significantly
>    better. Obviously, Aero forces some kind of "continuous screen
>    refresh" (wasting ressources...).

Don't see the above.

> - After playback has been started, it cannot be stopped anymore. The
>    only way to stop it is by closing DVBcut. As above, I assume that the
>    mouse click on the stop button is not properly transferred to the
>    MPlayer thread that runs "inside" the DBVcut window.
>    (Activating Aero doesn't change anything here.)

However, I have noticed the above non-responsive button behaviour on
64bit Windows 7, coming back recently to a new installation of
DVBcut-0.6.0-166 along with Tiesi's current build of
Mplayer-rtm-svn-34401. This was only corrected by rolling back to an old
copy of Mplayer-rtm-svn-28311.

I'm not sure quite what this means - perhaps different implementations
of the qt3 or qt3-under-qt4 libraries under mingw / mingw64? Ralph has
not updated DVBcut for a while so the 166 / 28311 builds come from
around the same date.

> If I start the playback with Mplayer by command line, the video is shown
> perfectly, so it's pretty obvious it's not a missing codec or the like.
> (All other players I tested also work fine and smooth.) All without Aero
> (which I don't like, BTW).

> Does anybody (successfully) use DVBcut with Windows 7 (x64), including
> MPlayer playback within DVBcut? If so, I would like to share some
> details about system setup etc. - if not, would someone dare to have a
> look at this problem? If more tests need to be done, that's no problem -
> I'll try to help as much as I can.

Anyway, hope this helps.

--
David Coe