2008/4/8, Anselm R. Garbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:35:40PM +0200, yy wrote:
> > 2008/4/8, Anselm R. Garbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Any complains?
> > >

> > If we are coming back to reverse geometries per client, what's the
> > point of resizing clients in focus changes? I think this will add
> > unnecesary complexity. But again, I don't think my opinion is
> > important.
>
> What if monocle is used to work on floating clients as well?
>
> I pretty much prefer the solution of only preserving the
> previous window geometry of a client window and not treating
> floating and managed geometries differently. If monocle works on
> all clients, this would lead to unrevertable maximised floating
> clients, which I dislike.
>
> On the other hand, preserving the geometry for each layout seems
> to be too memory-consuming, especially because the layout
> algorithms are heavily dynamic.

I think I didn't explain myself very well. Let's try again...
To restore all the clients to their previous position and size when
you change to the floating layout you will need a per client reverse
geometry where you store that data, I would call it "floating
geometry" (e.g.: fx, fy, fw, fh), setted to the initial value by
manage() like you suggested or by a mouse action. Then, when you
change to floating layout, all the clients are resized to that value;
when you change to tiled layout, floating clients are resized to that
value and tiled clients are tiled; and when you select the monocle
layout all the clients (or just the tiled ones, depending on the
lt->isfloating value) are resized to mox, moy, mow, moh.
As a personal preference, I wouldn't restore x and y values in non
floating windows.
I hope to have explained my idea better this time, I can write the
patch if you want to give it a try.

And about the setlayout behaviour, you are right that I was thinking
in the maximize toggle with Mod1-m (or the float toggle with
Mod1-Space), but as I told I don't really matter.

slds,

--

- yiyus || JGL .