Congrats Ron!

I can relate to your excitement.  This year was also when I completed
5BDXCC finishing up 80 this season.

For whatever reason when I lived in Illinois I just never got down on
75/80 to work DX.  I guess I was under that common mis-conception that
there wasn't any DX on that band and that my meesly antenna wouldn't be
competitive.

During the Winter months of 1999-2000 I was making a 1 1/2 hour commute
each way to work, so I was "forced" into getting up pretty early.  I made
an effort to  listen to 75/80 for about 30 minutes each day before heading
off to work.  Much to my surprise I did hear some DX and was able to work
most of it.  Between the contests and early morning DX I was able to get
into the 90's worked.

When I moved to Colorado in Sept. 2000 I had hoped that I could finish up
80.  I was very disappointed that there was some kind of noise that was
20-40 over S9 across the entire 80m band.  I did try to track it down and
concluded that the noise was being propagated by the power lines.  No, it
wasn't the typical power line buzz-hashing noise, this noise sounded more
like a flyback transformer from a TV or something along those lines.
Being new to the area and busy with a new job, I just chocked 80m a lost
cause until I either found the source of the noise or it just went away.

Then last year when K1B was active, I happen to chasing them and noticed
them on 80m.  I figured I would go down and listen.  Low and behold, the
noise was gone!  I even managed to work them on 80.  As the days went on,
I kept checking for the noise.  To my surprise it never came back.  To
this day it's still gone.  Needless to say, I was elated.  It appeared I
could get back on 80.  The only thing I can correlate with the noise
disappearing is that my next door neighbor moved about that time.  The
thing that doesn't make much sense is that my closest neighbor's house
(the one that moved) is about 300 feet from my antenna.  That seems quite
a distance to have 20-40 over S9 noise source, but I suppose wierder
things have happend.

So early this past fall I decided to try and finish up 80m for 5BDXCC.  So
far I've managed 40 new ones this season to put me at 132 worked with 102
confirmed.  My goal was to submit at Dayton.  Looks like I'll be carrying
some cards with me this year.

Speaking of AH3D, I worked them on 80m CW Wednesday morning.  They were 20
over here.  Then this morning, Marti was working 75 phone.  I flipped the
amp on expecting to need it, but called him barefoot for sh*ts and grins
while waiting for the amp to warm up.  I'll be darned if he didn't hear
me barefoot.  They must have good ears!

Anyway, to make a long story short, glad you got there on 80!  I know how
good it feels.  I guess the next thing for me is to take a stab at 160.  I
don't have antenna for that band (yet), and guess I'll have to trade my
amp for another since it only goes to 80.  160 DXCC barefoot would be a
challenge I suspect.  Not to mention adding a few new grey hairs!

73
Kelly - KE9KD
http://www.dx-central.com