To Jerry, Ron, Joe, Richard  et. al.

Apologies for the slow response, but time differences mean that I was sleeping then working whilst you were sending replies!

I hope the information supplied on Australian postage costs is of benefit to readers.

With respect to the LoTW question. A close reading of my comment refers to Awards Managers, not qsl managers.

Not all awards that I or others might be interested in, emanate from the ARRL. To name just two current awards:

(1) IOTA currently requires the presentation of hard copy qsl cards with the island name printed on them.

(2) All Australian DXCC awards require the sighting by two amateurs of all qsl cards or an official of an amateur society quote from WIA rules March 2005 "Applicants need to hold QSL cards for all QSO's claimed"

I understand that discussions/negotiations are beginning to take place between other ARRL and other organisations around the world, but at the moment there is still a dual system in place. Therefore qsl cards are still a requirement. If an Awards manager wished to verify any claimed qsos, my understanding is that it would be nigh impossible for them to do so at the present.

Take a hypothetical. An amateur applied for an IOTA award with 600 cards. 10 are deemed to be questionable.

Currently the Awards Manager can either request the verifying officer of the original application to check the cards again or call in the cards in question from the applicant.

Under LoTW, currently the Awards Manager cannot access other people's qso data, as it is password protected and unless the Awards Manager has arranged to have the particular award supported by LoTW, no further information is available.

Some form of electronic verification, such as an e-qsl for the the qso is not available from LoTW either.

It is my understanding that the COST of support by LoTW for non-ARRL awards has yet to be decided.

CONCLUSION: Hard copy QSL cards are still remain a necessity, as I stated in the post.

If anyone wants clarification of any issues associated with postal charges, qsl managers etc. in Australia, please feel free to e-mail me privately at

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry K3BZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>