With all this speculation....be advised that Desecheo, Vieques, Culebra et al are all regular stops for the drug traffickers and others who always leave piles of trash all without any kind of permission from F & W. DEA people are regular visitors to these islands. While I can accept that F & W has regulations regarding who may set foot on the island I cant see how they can restrict amateur radio operators, photographers, bird watchers etc from plying their trade. On US soil only the FCC can regulate amateur radio.

Watching this thread evolve with all its speculation is not worthy of the space on the chat page.

73   Norm  K1AA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zack Widup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "DX Chat" <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] KP5 Documents

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, N7MAL wrote:

I've been doing a lot of searching through Gov't documents, which are
accessible through the internet. It substantiated some very interesting,
although well known, information. Amateur Radio is expressly prohibited
on KP5 islands. Those of you who were active in the late 80's and early
90's remember those problems, and accusations. I will always remember
some Gov't official both on the TV news and in the print media making a
statement to the effect he had see cleaner garbage dumps than the
conditions left behind by the ham-radio operators who were at KP5. As it
turns out no one, especially a low-level bureaucrat, at F&W has the
authority to give permission for ham radio at KP5.

[snip]

As I pointed out above, and I think it is pretty widely known, special
permission for KP5 is just not routinely going to happen, it almost
requires an act of Congress.

It's evidently NOT widely known.  What are your references that amateur
radio operation is expressly ptohibited on KP5 island?

Zack W9SZ