----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] VU4

At 10:33 04/11/06, Russell Kellam Jr wrote:

Lord, let's hope so. VU4 is a "dead zone here in SE Va. 73

I've asked around and nobody's mentioning authorized power levels. If the A and K stay low, however, propagation to the east coast shouldn't be too wretched for those with a decent yagi. I don't think this is an operation that will be worked with wires and 100W, however, hi!

I think of more importance to those of us on my side of the pond is the preponderance of operators from Europe who may have a different focus than east coast and central North America, arguably the most challenging location for VU4 signals. To be honest, fighting a rock-solid EU wall for 8 days straight isn't my idea of fun. Personally, I'm debating taking the plunge for a legal limit amp...I don't think 500W will be enough to get over the wall, not even with my Yagi at 70 feet.