Good point but I figured any zone 4 or 5 operating in zone 3 had a much better chance of working him and any zone 3's in zone 4 or 5 had a much lower chance, so this would skew the figures somewhat and tend to dilute the zone 3 number down. I guess that I am surprised by the figures but maybe the answer is that it was difficult from any place in the USA and only those stations with decent antennas worked him. Those stations are equally placed around the USA.

Total unique callsigns worked of 17,884 seems pretty low considering the pileups and a 24 hour operation using 4 stations. Mind you it isn't easy to set up a station on a rock in the blistering heat. So I am certainly not knocking the operation. After all they went there and made it happen

Mark N1UK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Thursday, 17 May, 2007 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: [DX-CHAT] BS7H QSO Stats

How did they figure the US zones - by call sign which isn't too accurate
now.

That might be right, but I don't think it's *too* inaccurate.  I think
the overall situation is still that the numbers more or less match up
here.

If you want to do a sample, just type random 1x2 calls into qrz and
see if the number matches.

I just ran n1aa through n0ad... maybe 10% of 'em were not in their call areas.

So stuff 400 more qso's into zone 3, maximum.

Dan