At 07:28 PM 3/27/2008, Stuart Santelmann KC1F wrote:
I think contesting can be described as "heavy duty use", as I think that's what my friend K1DG primarily would use that headset for...

heh. Yeah, contesting and DXing at all hours of the day and night. Plus, I have a big head (heh...no comments necessary) so that's even more stress on 'em.

Heil wouldn't fix a lemon headset for free ? The anti-ham radio fairies apparently sat on my Pro-Set a while ago, and I think I only paid for shipping to Heil for repair, although I can't remember for sure. Plus it came back with the latest upgrades.

Oh, I never said that Bob didn't stand behind the products - don't get me wrong there! He's replaced them three times for just the cost of shipping. But it isn't the money that's the problem since even his full repair prices are extremely reasonable. The problem is the reliability of this particular item. Since it's no longer offered for sale on Heil's site, I'm guessing that says something right there.

I hold no ill feelings for Bob or his company whatsoever. He's always been good to me. But. It's now 48 hours until the last major SSB contest of the season and my headset partially failed. Thankfully it does work in the "ANR-ON" mode so no harm, but still, it's a question of it being the fourth failure in three years and in my books that's where I have to draw the line and start looking for alternatives.

People are lining up to spend $3000 to $10,500 on new high-end HF transceivers and there's a typical 10-12 week wait for $3000 SteppIR antennas. There IS room in the market for a high-end ANR boom mic headset. How I wish someone would fill it with a really well-engineered and ergonomically-designed product.

Regards,

Peter,
W2IRT