Norm, you bring up a possibility I never before considered. It IS possible I
was imprinted with a reverse dit-dah on my Vibroplex. I had always presumed
pointer finger for dahs, thumb for dits was "normal" and since these many years
I never used any other bug than my own, I've had no experience otherwise. I
don't have my bug with me right now to determine if I know what I'm talking
about but 47+ years of habit is difficult to overcome. Same/same paddle when I
used one: I just wired it up for right paddle dah, left paddle dit. Am I
getting a revelation that after all these years, this is contrary to standard
practice?

Arthritis-wise, I have severe arthritis in both hands (and many other body
parts) which is why it's easier for me these days to use a straight key.
However, my major problem with CW is writing down the message - my fingers just
won't sustain more than a couple minutes of writing down callsigns and my grey
cells also don't work so well on memory retention. Alas, growing old requires
adaptations so I've grown quite comfortable with a straight key albeit I still
have the writing problem although I'm working on computer keyboard stuff to
record messages/callsigns/QTHs.

In any instance, CW rules the airwaves no matter from which direction the dits
and dahs come.

73 de Fred K2FRD