Yea - memorable can mean a lot of things to different people. I never did manage to work JY1 but I did have a QSO with EA0JC.......

However, my most memorable QSO which in the greater scheme of things is pretty insignificant was a QSO with a VK8 station and a P29 station way back about 2 sunspot maximums ago. They were chatting to each other on 10m and as they were closing I chucked my call in and they came back to me. The VK8 was running a converted CB set running 4 watts to a mobile whip antenna and the P29 was running a similar TXR (a Midland from memory) into a Partridge Joystick Antenna.

Some of us Brits might remember the Joystick - for those who dont it was like a broom handle wire wire coiled around it and tapped.

The Antenna was on the ground leaning against the wall of his hut! Like me, both guys were astounded at the length and quality of out QSO.

That to me is what makes the hobby worthwhile. That is DX, not just the rubber stamp 5NN with K5D (I hope) hihi.

de Tom
GM4FDM

Kelly Jones wrote:
Hi Guys -

I was thumbing through an old box of QSL cards the other day and
reminiscing about some of the QSOs that where in there.  It's pretty
amazing how we can look at a QSL card and it brings back the memories of
working that station.

I thought it might be interesting to wrap this into a future column of
WorldRadio.  If you have a memorable DX QSO, I'd like to hear about it.
What made it memorable for you?  Did you sit in the pileups for hours?
Did you happen to catch a rare DX station CQing before he was spotted?
Did you work somebody famous (JY1 comes to mind).  Anything that sets
the QSO apart from others is what I'd like to hear about.  And if you
happen to have a QSL card for the contact, it would be icing on the cake
if you could forward that as well.

For those that are not aware, WorldRadio magazine was sold to CQ this
past November.  With the sale, WR was transformed into an online
magazine and is now free to anyone.  The first online issue was
"published" about a week ago and can be found here:
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/WorldRadio.html.

See you in the pileups!
Kelly - N0VD
WorldRadio DX Columnist

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090211-0, 11/02/2009
Tested on: 12/02/2009 14:10:40

So I met the bloke who invented crosswords today. I can't remember his
name, it's P something T something R.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090211-0, 11/02/2009
Tested on: 12/02/2009 14:21:59