Gerry WA2VKS wrote:

>I also need to chime in regarding catching propagation to an area.
>I'm in NJ. We have no direct gray line to TX0, but it is literally right
>off Australia. Virtually every sunrise, Australia pounds in here......

Exactly. Gray line is fine, especially for propagation to near the
antipode, but it's certainly not necessary to work somewhere like
TX0C (assuming they're on). When you have overlapping darkness
between two locations, the single gray line peak splits into two, one
occurring at the western end sunset, and the other at the eastern end
sunrise (usually the best). Between the two, you can still get
propagation, but there's often a dip.

A good example was TX0C 40M propagation to W5. We had just over 5
hours of overlapping darkness. Their sunset was at 0627Z, but - so
far as I know - they didn't use that peak. However, as we approached
sunrise (1145Z in W5), there they were, working first the east coast
then the 5s and 0s.

I think the most valuable data for any DXer is to know the
sunrise/sunset times at both ends of the desired path. Very hard to
work DX without that.

John, NT5C.