Richard

I don't think that there is an event log on win98SE.

The fact that you have tried it on another machine and it hasn't failed is
good news.

I can recommend the following:

Make sure that all maintenance available from Microsoft is installed
I really think that the hard drive of the drive controller is going south..
Is it an Ultra DMA hard drive without and Ultra DMA cable? (this problem
drove me nuts for about 3 months)
It may be a power supply problem.  I learned the hard way that computer
power supplies are not created equal.  Look very very closely at the power
ratings.  Some of the wattages are combined.
Can you get a new harddrive and do a total reinstall of Win98SE (I highly
recommend XP Home--the software is almost 4 years newer than Win98).  Also,
with an event log, it makes it easier to track problems like this.  I also
think that you will find XP faster than Win98SE.

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy solution here.  Your just going to have
to keep trying things until it goes away.

73... Mike VA3MW