Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> In my release notes I wrote:
>
>     * UA9S, UA9T and UA9W are now mapped to CQ Zone 16 by default.  The
>       UA9S/T situation is tricky.  The Ural river, which separates
>       Europe from Asia, flows through the Orenburg oblast (UA9S/T).  A
>       UA9S or UA9T prefix can be assigned to either side of the river
>       (Europe or Asia).
>
> I am happy to add entries to the country file, but only those that can
> be confirmed by QSL card.
>
> Please send me the call (only UA9[S,T,W], other prefixes like RA9, UZ9
> etc. OK), the date of the QSO and confirm that the card says CQ Zone 17.
>
> Only the following are currently listed:
>
>   RX9TX,17,UA9,17/02/2001
>   U9W/W6/G3MHV,0,UA9,20/05/1989
>   UA9TS,17,UA9,29/11/1992
>   UA9WQK/6,0,UA,16/09/2000
>
> I found a few QSLs in my collection, and I will be adding these:
>
>   RU9TC, RV9WB, RW9WJ, RX9SX, UA9WTF, UV9WN and UZ9WXK.
>
> Steve N3SL found these, they will be added also:
>
>   UA9SI, UA9WZ, and UW9WT.
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks & 73 - Jim AD1C

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! This mess again!

First, lets get rid of the old ideas of where the border between Europe
and Asia lies. It's generally considered to be the Ural Mountains but
amateur radio boundaries do not always follow the accepted geographical
boundaries. For instance, Komi Oblast, in the north, lies completely to
the east of the Urals but is considered Asia and has a UA9 prefix. The
oblast borders do not always correspond to geographical features. Art,
RX9TX states that there is NO dividing line between zone 16 and 17 in
Orenburg oblast. UA9S and UA9T are issued throughout the oblast.

If one traces the zone 16,17 (also the line dividing the UA9 prefixes
from European prefixes) down from the Artic, all is well until we get
to Bashkortostan and Orenburg oblasts. There, CQ has the WAZ boundary
going east to include these two oblasts in zone 16. However, the WAC
boundary (and the UA9 callsigns) has the boundary going to the west of
these two oblasts!

At least on Russian site I found has Bashkortostan and Orenburg listed
as being in Asia, zone 17. See:

http://www.rdxc.org/regions.asp?ORDER=1

This makes sense to me as it would put all UA9 calls in Asia and follow
the WAC borders.

The original reasoning for the WAZ folks to put Bashkortostan and
Orenburg in
zone 16 appears to be lost in the mists of time. They have told me that they
will not change the rules and that they rely on the zone given on the QSL.

So, the conundrum persists. If you work Orenburg it will count for
Asia in WAC and either zone 16, Europe, or zone 17, Asia, for WAZ
depending on what it says on the card!!

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)