John,

You are not doing anything wrong.  The Yaesu transceivers operate
AFSK/PSK in PKT mode and FSK in RTTY.

If you want to use the RTTY mode setting on the Mark-V you need
to connect the FSK signal (Pin 5 of the 8 Pin DIN) and Ground
(Pin 2 of the 8 Pin DIN) to pins 1 and 4 respectively of the
4 Pin RTTY input of the Mark V.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.