From: Roger Borowski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 January 2006 1:29 p.m.
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Cc: John Shaw
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] PSK and PTT setup

This is a "problem" that was added in Version 6 and caused me to return
Ver. 5.02. It still exists in Ver 7 and I've brought it to Paul's
attention
numerous times over the past 3-4 years and it seems to haven fallen on
deaf
ears.
With the advent of the Control Tab in Preferences, you can EITHER use
the CW
keyboard / memories OR use PTT for PSK31, but not both unless you go
into
Preferences and change the Control Interface at the top for EITHER the
COM
port used for the CW Keyer OR the COM port for PSK31 PTT and ALSO you
must
choose in the DTR line setting whether you are using CW Keying OR PTT
control. This makes it a royal PIA to switch between CW and PSK31,
requiring
one to go into Preferences with every mode change to alter the COM port
and
purpose for which mode you may be operating at the time.
In Version 5, you could select the PTT COM port from the PSK31 window
and
the CW Keyboard, once set up for it's COM port, never needed to be
addressed
again. Why this was ever changed to an "Either / OR" situation in Ver. 6
still escapes me, but it was a move in the wrong direction for anyone
who
uses the CW Keyboard / Memories as well as also operates the PSK31 mode.
If
you go from CW mode to PSK31 and bring up the PSK31 window, get yourself
set
to make a QSO and find you have no PTT because you didn't go through the
ritual of going into Preferences, then Control Tab, and making the two
changes. After this, hopefully the station you desired to work is still
there! Then a CW spot comes up and you are ready to hit the F Key on the
CW
Keyboard that sends your callsign, you find it does nothing and you must
repeat the Preferences ritual. I got tired of that in short order and
reported this enhancement BUG first a week after Ver. 6.01 became
available,
and about 4 times since. Maybe nobody else works both CW and PSK31 ???
I'm still using Ver. 5.02 as Ver. 5.03 had label printing bugs and Ver.
6
and later, although I paid the upgrade fee, turned out to be a big step
backwards for me, and others who operate both CW and PSK31, like me.
I've
monitored the reflector and even downloaded Ver. 7 and found nothing has
been done about this problem in the latest Version 7. Maintenance
upgrades
and bug fixes have been almost non-existent in any calendar year of
late,
while I and some others I know and who I originally turned on to DX4WIN
have
become disenchanted with DX4WIN and the lack of response to reported
Bugs
and show NO Present Bug exist in the present software! We've been using
different logging program that I've found to have added embellishments
as
well as being much more responsive to maintenance fixes. DX4WIN was the
best
in the 90's but other software vendors have seen the light and made vast
improvements while DX4WIN seems to be running on it's past reputation. I
was
a dedicated DX4WIN user for a good number of years and I still monitor
the
reflector hoping to see change for the better, but not much has changed
of
late and I likely won't be doing it for much longer. I was quite
comfortable
with DX4WIN but not being able to use the latest LOTW enhancements and
bug
fixes with the operational aspects of Ver. 5.02, along with other
unanswered
problems creeping up on the reflector finally made me take a hard look
at
other options. Had I worked only CW, OR PSK31, OR neither, I would most
likely have stuck with DX4WIN. There still seems to be quite a good
following so maybe it's just the small group like myself that tired of
poor
and untimely response to software problems that we have reported and
lived
with much too long.
Good Luck & 73, Rog-K9RB