I have updated to 8.04 and got an improvement in the F2 action.
At least now it works predictably.

With Preferences, F2 key, set as follows:
Checked: Mark Qso as confirmed, Set QSL Data to today, Qsl method Direct.

QSL method action is only if Mark QSO for Label is checked.

I cannot get F2 to set the qsl date to anything.

I suppose there is some logic to this if the QSL date is set when the
label is printed.

To me, the coupled logic is not useful.  It may be optimized for some
sort of batch processing for sending QSLs.
I receive many QSLs by multiple methods.  I do not routinely send QSLs
for all contacts made but do respond to all received.

F2 would be much more useful to me, if I, with received card in hand,
could search for the QSL, confirm the card, then use F2
to set my choice of Label, today's date, Cnfm, and method. with one
stroke according to my preference settings.
Perhaps this simpler logic could be an option to the present approach.

What am I missing, or can you point me to documentation of the way it
really works?

Aloha,
John KH7T