On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Roger D Johnson N1RJ asked:

> What is wrong with using a CD-ROM or thumbdrive?

Hi Roger,

The simple answer, they're both too slow.

If backup isn't automatic, it generally won't happen.  For example,
emailing a copy of your log to yourself is great, but will you do it
after every QSO?  Probably not.  The EASIEST way to backup is to put a
path in the DX4WIN "Secondary backup location" that is either on a
different directory, drive or computer than your log normally is.
This way, when your log is saved, your backup will be saved also, no
extra work.

I tried using a thumb drive as a secondary backup location.  Writing
to one of these devices is slow (even on a fast computer), and DX4WIN
will be "paused" while the save is happening.  Not the kind of thing
you want to have happen while you're running stations at > 1/minute.

Finally, so what if the backup company you chose goes belly-up?  It's
just a backup, you still (presumably) have your original data.  Just
choose another site!

My DX4WIN data is backed up from the shack computer to the office
computer (over the local network), using either SyncBackSE or
SugarSync, either of which runs in the background.  There are
advantages and disadvantages to both, for example, when my office
computer is on the company's VPN, SyncBackSE can't see that computer
anymore.  The office computer is backed up over the 'net using
Carbonite, which also runs in the background.  I have lost only one
single QSO in the 10+ years I've been using DX4WIN, and it was due to
human error on my part.

Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us