Ed,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1.  You can enter by hand.  Version 9 supports db signal reports.  Just
enter -01 for example instead of 599.

2.  Yes, you should log FT8 QSOs using the db format for signal reports.
That is the accepted norm.  Even LOTW supports that format.

3.  Yes, I just import the wsjt-x log file directly into DX4WIN-- just like
N1MM+.  DX4WIN will add the db formatted signal reports (if you are using
Version 9).  No, I never clear the log file in WSJT-X.  When you import the
log into DX4WIN the default option is to ignore all duplicates.  So any
previous contacts are ignored by DX4WIN and only any new ones are added on
each successive import.

4.  DX4WIN does not currently interface with JTAlert.  I wish it did!
Alternatively, WSJT-X supports UDP broadcast of logged contacts.  Some other
logging programs use this feature to automatically pull in new contacts from
WSJT-X.  I wish DX4WIN would do that.

5.  Not sure about Jim's script and XP.  You will have to ask him.

I hope this helps.

73,

Dave, N4QS