hi jeff,

interesting idea -

my thoughts on an alternative to the turing number are that it needs
to provide around 1 out of 10000 or higher odds against random guessing.
so a form with a drop down list would need to have 10000 choices to provide
such. the 6 digit number e-gold uses provides around 1 out of a million
odds of guessing. some sites use distorted english words on a background -
this is probably superior from the random guess angle but may be more prone
to user mis-entry.

maybe a way to do your drop down would be to have javascripted heirarchical
menu selection similar to e-bay category selection.
animal/plant/mineral ->
        dog/cat/aardvark/snail
        cactus/oak/fern
        pebble/rebar/engine
etc. to arrive at 10000 incorrect selections.

also some possibilites having to do with persistence of human vision,
and animation are possible...

how about using i ching hexagrams, or selecting the most likely composer
of a .wav motif or painter of a few displayed stroke. yeah, right. :)

jay w.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]