From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-- JP wrote:

> The word for all this is ... "insane" :)
>
> Why?  You'd just send the check to the bookseller.

Adam:

I just recalled a few pertinent quotes from Doug Jackson at the recent Gold
Economy Conference in Atlanta:

"e-gold does not require any "merchants" to succeed."

"Bill payment ALONE could boost the Gold Economy to criticality."

"It's not about gold, it's about lowering the cost & risk of accepting
payment."

On the bill payment issue, Doug mentioned some new innovations at Omnipay
whereby you could pay all your bills online directly from your e-gold
account.  Why is bill pay so critical?  To quote Doug again:

"More than 80% of household and a higher percentage of business expenditures
entail a mailed check or EFT."

In other words, online ordering and point-of-sale are just the tip of the
iceberg.

As for point of sale purchases, Doug Jackson advises:  "just use a credit
card".  To that I would add "or a gold debit card".

For online ordering, most merchants will accept credit cards, so just pay
off the credit card using e-gold via Omnipay (or one of the other bill pay
services coming up soon).  Or if they accept checks, send gold to Omnipay
and have them issue one.

Basically, we're getting to the point where there's no need to have a
checking account.  Well, there is that small matter of paychecks in US
dollars from traditional employers.  Oh well.   In time.

-- Patrick