From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Adam,
<snip>
> So, Biff is sitting at home and he wants a book which costs twenty bucks.
<snip>
> The word for all this is ... "insane" :)
>
> Why?  You'd just send the check to the bookseller.
>
> e-gold is not a "payment system", it is "money itself"
>
> These days when someone offers to pay me for something with USD, I
> find it annoying and my thought is "I suppose, well how can I get rid
> of these USD and get some e-gold to meet this month's expenses"
<snip>
> e-gold *is* a money, Adam, it's another currency like USD or CAN,
> that's the key.
>
> JP!

JP, with this answer you have hit the ball right out of the park!  The point
is definitely to extract ourselves permanently from the muck of the fiat
money system.

Adam, I guess this sounds like an "ideal world" scenario to you, and you're
right.  The scenarios you describe are indeed economically unfeasible,
involving a great amount of friction, drag, heat, noise, loss, etc. at the
boundaries between fiat and gold.  Only the ideal world scenario ultimately
makes sense.

So what's the motivation for someone to get into all this gold business,
given the initial transaction costs and difficulty?  Well, if you don't,
you'll just be left behind and eventually nobody will want your monopoly
money.

Try expanding your personal network of trusted souls with whom you can
exchange real money -- gold.

Ideally,
Patrick Chkoreff