My datafile indeed suggests discarding the ace and king, giving an expected payout of 49.20% of the wager. The best four strategy's are in descending order:

1. Discard ace and king:   0.4920
2. Keep only the king:     0.4666
3. Keep both ace and king: 0.4657
4. Keep only the ace:      0.4649

that is "the shit," Edwin!

 Or -- in fact -- did you mean Edwin that the above hands are the same --
 because you're just swapping suites?

Yes, that's indeed what I meant: that swapping suites does not matter, not that suits don't matter altogether.

Right on ...

ie, your rule book likes something like this:

5-X, 6-X, 9-Y, 10-Y, K-Z

where X, Y and Z can be any suite.

Basically yes.

right ..

 Hence in that example, you have covered, let me think, four, right?
 different "raw" hands with one meta-hand where you variableize the suites
 ???

Nope, 24 in this case: 4 possibilities for X, 3 for Y and 2 for Z.

Right -- (I was still thinking "order doesn't matter!" :) )

Edwin

I can't immediately see how you easily subtracted out all the hands that are the "same as" other hands, in your scheme, but we've probably gone on about it too much! :)

Good one, JP

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.