Hey all,

> how about an XML standard, "Digital
> Gold Markup Language" perhaps.

Nice name :)

But I see a pattern arising, I think -- here's what I suspect will happen:

 * we agree that we want a standard, and it must be simple, not like "that
   other stuff" which is complex, probably because it's been designed by
   people that are not nearly as smart as us...

 * in an open discussion more and more complexity gets added:
        - someone insists on two-step transactions to be able to make
          cross-gold-system transfers as one whole; and now that we're
          defining a standard we "should do it well".
        - someone proposes a system that allows reservations, payment
          tokens, fee precalculations, escrow support schemes, ...
        - someone realises a feature that not all gold systems have, such
          as a repudiability mechanism, a nifty transaction signature, a
          currency such as the Euro, or a hashing technique such as SHA-1.

 * the design evolves to one of the following:
        - minimal, only defining the common denominator
        - maximal, but not all gold systems implement it completely
        - vague, with lots of optional parts and no clue when they are
          needed and when they may be left out
        - dynamic, with option negotiation between the gold systems
        - any mixture of the above

 * gold systems conform to the standard, but it's ambiguous (e.g.
   syntax-only) just like "proper" standards such as X.509
   and we're still just halfway.

I hope I'm wrong...  and I'd love to actually be proven wrong...  but this
is usually what happens to standards, and I doubt if gold is any simpler
than "those complex standards out there" if you do it well.
 - If you do it halfway, is it going to be useful?
 - If you could also just make some simple hacks based on a clear
   description of a single gold system, would that not be simpler?
 - is the number and variety of gold systems really so abundant?

Just being cautious,

Rick van Rein
DNS.vanrein.org -- Domain names payable in gold.
GOLD.vanrein.org -- Info about gold-based e-commerce + gold sale to the Dutch.

---
You are currently subscribed to e-gold-tech as: archive@jab.org