Hoi Glen Ainscow,

> Could someone please give me a brief explanation of using the MD5 hash.

A hash is basically just a function. But it has the property that, given
its output value, it is extremely hard (in practice: undoable) to construct
a matching input value.

This makes it possible to hide things with an MD5 hash. For example, if you
calculate MD5("mypassword:USD 4.33:12345:23456") then you have no fair
chance of guessing "mypassword" even if you hav all the other fields. And,
lacking that password part, you have no fair chance of altering the other
fields and retain the MD5. In short, this is a form of digisig.

> Am I correct in saying that you create the hash using certain input field
> values?

You are both vague and correct.

> What do you match it up with?

Only with itself ;-)