hi alexander - see inline comments.

> Jay W., can we use the Atrernate Passphrase somehow? I didn't find
> anything
> about it in Automation interface description.

right now that alternate passphrase plays a role in SCI
merchant notifications, but you're correct, there is no
use of it currently in the e-gold automation interface.

> even
> if somebody will steal Alternate Passphrase from server he will not be
> able to use it from another IP.

it is a difficult, if not an unsolvable problem - if someone can access
a server that has the capability to perform spends, is there a way
to keep the intruder from performing those spends? your idea does
prevent certain abuses so it is worthwhile to consider.

how about a simple way to keep your passphrase off the server
disk entirely - have your application prompt you for it at runtime
and only have it memory resident (ignoring swapping issues which
possibly could be avoided with an mlock or equiv). what's the best
way to have something stored in memory that your CGI can get
to? maybe a shared memory segment that a utility sets up?

---
You are currently subscribed to e-gold-tech as: archive@jab.org

viruses.