Dear Michael,

in my experience, if you try to detect the back led of a robot with the camera
of another one, you can
expect a perception range of 20cm max, and that depends on the algorithm you
use, and the light conditions of your experiments.
We had best results with RGB to HSV conversion + segmentation, in low light
environments.

IRs are a bit more tricky, if you don't modify the e-puck body and stay with
the transparent one, you may
detect robots at 2cm, but if you put some reflective tape around the e-puck
body, you can reach ~15cm.

hope this helps,
cheers,
alexandre campo.