Hi Jenny,

Are you using the library from the e-puck site?
http://www.e-puck.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=25
This libraries provide functions to know what camera you have.
It is very strange that the camera gives you garbage.
Did you use an example to develop your code? When you download the library
there are examples to be based on.
In my case, I used a 40x40 image which is the one from the example.

Hope that helps,

Sergi

2011/2/15 Jenny Owen <jo...@cs.york.ac.uk>

> [...]
>>    Anyway, this is the code that is running on the epuck:
>>
>>    #include <uart/e_uart_char.h>
>>    #include <motor_led/e_init_port.h>
>>    #include <camera/fast_2_timer/e_po3030k.h>
>>
>>    #define CAM_BUFFER_SIZE 80*60
>>    unsigned char cam_buffer[CAM_BUFFER_SIZE];
>>
>>    void init_cam(void)
>>    {
>>            e_po3030k_init_cam();
>>            e_po3030k_config_cam(0, 0, ARRAY_WIDTH, ARRAY_HEIGHT, 8, 8,
>>    GREY_SCALE_MODE);
>>            e_po3030k_write_cam_registers();
>>            return;
>>    }
>>

>>    void capture(void)
>>    {
>>            e_po3030k_launch_capture((char *)cam_buffer);
>>            while(!e_po3030k_is_img_ready());
>>    }
>>

>>    int main(void)
>>    {
>>            e_init_port();
>>            init_cam();
>>            e_init_uart1();
>>
>>            e_send_uart1_char("photography ", 12);
>>
>>            char ch;
>>            //get ch from uart until we receive an x
>>            while(ch != 'x')
>>            {
>>                    //is_char checks for incoming data from uart1
>>                    if(e_ischar_uart1())
>>                    {
>>                            e_getchar_uart1(&ch);
>>                    }
>>            }
>>            capture();
>>
>>            //send buffer contents to bluetooth
>>            e_send_uart1_char((char *)cam_buffer, CAM_BUFFER_SIZE);
>>
>>            //wait to finish sending
>>            while(e_uart1_sending()){}
>>

>>            return 0;
>>    }
>>
>>    So the camera is taking a 640 x 480 greyscale image and scaling it
>>    down to an 80x60 image. This is then sent to my computer across
>>    uart1. On my computer I've tried reading the data through the
>>    terminal in TinyBld which gives me raw data which looks like:
>>
>>                                  û    û    û    û
>>                                           ÿ    ÿ    etc. When I
>>    converted that to an image it was basically a black retangle with
>>    some lighter grey pixels.
>>    I thought maybe the problem was with the bluetooth connection, but
>>    when I try and use the data for other things in the epuck it's clear
>>    the camera isn't filling the buffer with data properly. I also tried
>>    running the BTcom/epuck monitor program, and with that code the
>>    camera worked properly so it's not a broken camera either.
>>
>>    I'm not sure what else the problem could be, does anyone here have
>>    any ideas?
>>    Thanks,
>>
>>    Jenny

>> --
>> *SERGI TORRELLAS SOCASTRO
>> Desenvolupador
>> R+D Salut
>>
>> M. 616.21.72.97**
>> *storrel...@bdigital.org <http://bdigital.org>
>>

>>        *BARCELONA DIGITAL CENTRE TECNOLÒGIC*
>> Roc Boronat 117, 5a planta, 08018 Barcelona
>> Tel. +34 93 553 45 40 - Fax. +34 93 553 45 41

*SERGI TORRELLAS SOCASTRO
Desenvolupador
R+D Salut

M. 616.21.72.97**