Hello,
I would say putting the robot in sleep during camera acquisition is not a good idea and not very useful. It is the robot microcontroller (uC) doing most of the acquisition (in its library) and setting the flag ready when the image is in the uC memory. during sleep also timers are off. However you have several sleep modus where you can decide what periphery is on. coming out of sleep is done via external actions, realtime clock interrupt, running timers explicity leaved on at sleep, and maybe some other stuff. you nedd to read carefully the uC datasheet to use that feature.

Gilles