Pierre Ossman wrote:
>>> I've just noticed that the e1000e has delightfully made poo poo all
>>> over my EEPROM (something David Vrabel also has reported). Shit
>>> happens and all that I guess, but how do I get the thing back in a
>>> working order? Couldn't find anything useful on the interwebs...
>>
>> were you testing eeprom writes?  We don't recommend changing your
>> eeprom except in extreme cases.  We don't have publically available
>> tools to fix eeproms due to the design specific changes that are
>> made to each eeprom.
>
> I haven't done anything outside of normal end user usage. The card
> just got corrupted as of late, and when I saw David Vrabel's comments
> I assumed it was the driver that borked it.

driver corruption is highly unlikely, the driver doesn't write to the
eeprom unless told to do so by the user.  More than likely either your
system is being managed by iAMT and was somehow corrupted by that
firmware, or you have a hardware failure.  One avenue at this point is
contacting the customer support of your laptop vendor.

>> if you saved a dump of your eeprom before you started writing to it,
>> you can program each byte back into place using ethtool (if the
>> device shows up)
>
> The device shows up on the PCI bus, but no network device (as the
> driver refuses to continue once it detects a bad checksum). I have no
> dump though since it had never occurred to me that I needed to keep
> backups of my NIC's EEPROM. :)

you can try bypassing the return when the eeprom checksum fails, and see
if the driver will load.  If the MAC address check fails after that you
can try bypassing that too.

> A colleague has an identical machine though, could that be used with
> some manual fiddling of the MAC address bytes?

yes.  I would start by getting the driver to load (if it will) and then
doing ethtool -e on both machines and comparing results.

>> If you happen to be using a LOM or
>> e1000e part that is integrated with a chipset like ich8/9 it is
>> likely one of the bios update(s) will upgrade/repair the eeprom
>> (since on those parts the eeprom is embedded as part of the BIOS
>> flash rom).
>
> This is a laptop, so it is most probably built in. But isn't the MAC
> address stored in EEPROM? A BIOS image is not machine specific, so I
> don't see how that would be able to fully restore the data.

depending on the laptop it might be a discreet part with discreet
eeprom, or it could be integrated.  I don't know because you never
mentioned what type of hardware you're using nor did you post an lspci
-vvv