On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 14:08 +0200, Tal Abudi wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks the reply.
>
> My ethtool version doesn't support this feature (ethtool 6). This
> feature was introduced in ethtool 3.1 or 3.2 but it's fairly easy to
> backport and adjust the relevant code.
> But it looks like that the ixgbe 3.9.15 driver does not support this
> ioctl type (ETHTOOL_GCHANNELS and ETHTOOL_SCHANNELS) and this change
> is more complex.
>
> What do you think ?

3.9.15 is a three year old driver, it would be safer to just use our
out-of-tree driver (latest is 3.23.2.1) on e1000.sourceforge.net, since
we have a kcompat layer already setup to handle running the latest
driver on older kernels.

If you are looking to backport features or functionality into a much
older driver, you would be getting yourself into a driver we could not
support AND your may not have the resources to validate all the possible
issues that may arise from backporting a subset of features or
functionality.