Hello!

I have an issue with i40e driver, maybe somebody from here already
saw it.
I have debian 8 with 2 intel x710 4 port 10G sfp+ card, which has by
default 3.16 kernel and i40e module with 0.4 version:

3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2 (2016-04-08) x86_64
GNU/Linux
# ethtool -i enp4s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 0.4.10-k
firmware-version: f4.40 a1.4 n04.53 e80001e5c
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

Network configuration is 1-1 interface from the 2 card connected in
bonding (mode4, lacp on cisco nexus switch with vpc) and vlan on that
bond.

basicly it seems working, but I tried to update to newer i40e version, so
compiled 1.5.18 in it with dkms and I faced an issue, when I start packet
capture (tcpdump on vlan, bond or physical interface it doesn't matter)
seems connection hang for a short time.
In particular when I start a ping to that server with 100ms interval and
start tcpdump there is 1 lost packet and when stop tcpdump there is
around another 10-15 lost packets.
Sometimes these connection issue got permanent, I mean that switch
doesn't got lacp, suspend the port and also if I reboot the server with
this state (nothing changed on switch or server side) that port remain
down, but if I start another tcpdump few moments after it get online and
seems working again, so very strange and it's not just with one
server/nic.

I tried to update kernel with debian backports 4.4 and 4.5, which has
newer i40e by default, on 4.4 kernel:
# ethtool -i enp4s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 1.3.46-k
firmware-version: 4.53 0x80001e5c 17.0.12
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

(4.5 has 1.4.... version) but these has the same issue. Also tried to
update i40e driver with these newer kernels to 1.5.18 but the same.

I tried to update firmware since with newer kernel I could or should but
nvmupdate tell me it's already the latest.

I would try 1.2.48.2 i40e version with 4.4 kernel but can't compile so
can't tell earlier version also face this issues, didn't tried that or older
version on 3.16 kernel.

Anybody got problems like this?

Thanks, blackluck