On 02/22/2017 03:40 AM, Maxime Boissonneault wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
> While I understand and am all in favor of reusing dependencies, most
> packages with dependencies do not provide download hooks for specific
> versions of their dependencies. PETSc is this way, I believe OpenFoam
> too. When the developers go through this trouble, I prefer to assume
> that they know what they are doing and test with specific versions of

Unfortunately they rarely do (when it comes to HPC systems and
performance issues at least), they just know that the ordinary user
knows even less and try to make it easy for them.

> the dependencies. If a user finds a bug, it will be that much simpler to
> diagnose if it uses the same versions as the developers.

The main reason i see for NOT letting codes like PETSc do their own
download and build of sub dependencies, is that those dependencies will
not be built in the best way, i.e., they will be suboptimal in speed and
sometimes even buggy.

But it is always a question of how much time do you have to keep things
in sync and updated...

I usually prefer to build and test myself and then force PETSc et.al. to
use what i already have. But lately the rate of incoming software
requests for new stuff has been climbing through the roof. The curse of
having a brand new system with lots of toys...

Internet: a...@hpc2n.umu.se   Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90-580 14