Hello Davide,

I also had doubts initially because of what you mention and also using
global source paths, but this works for us:

- create and manage a cluster-wide software stack with an easybuild user,
using EASYBUILD_PREFIX=$EB_GLOBAL_PREFIX

- for normal users

  - set EASYBUILD_PREFIX=$HOME/.local/easybuild but add
$EB_GLOBAL_PREFIX/modules/all to the $MODULEPATH (so that it finds the
already globally installed software)

  -
set
EASYBUILD_SOURCEPATH=$HOME/.local/easybuild/sources:$EB_GLOBAL_PREFIX/sources,
in this order (so that it downloads to local but looks in global). This was
recently clarified in the documentation, last line in
https://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Configuration.html?highlight=sourcepath#sourcepath

I think this is enough.

Miguel

P.S. I encourage users to always add a versionsuffix in case they are
rebuilding a package that already exists globally, otherwise which one gets
picked depends on the order of the folders in $MODULEPATH