Hi,

Reading through Kenneth’ reply, I am honestly wondering whether we should skip
a foss/2018a.  The below does not suggest any big upgrade.  Considering the
human cost of moving all "helper” packages (such as HDF5, netcdf, Python and
Pythonwrapers, Boost) that our users require, I am close to thinking, this is
not worth it.  In the current HPC environment, a tool chain is way more than
compiler, mpi, blas, fft library.  It is a full blown “ecosystem”.  In addition
we see increasing demands on interoperability of packages.

We are still building software with foss/2017a, because updates for foss/2017b
are still in the pipeline (e.g. not contributed yet, pull request under
development, in the git development branch).  For various reasons, it seems to
take the EasyBuild community now about 1/2 year to release (inclusion in EB
release) most of the things required for a toolchain.  Looking into the pull
requests, I see a bigger emphasis to get packages into EB that weren’t
supported before, which is a good thing in my view.  Skipping toss/2018a would
allow us to spend our time on new packages since we are not so absorbed in
porting, reviewing, merging updates all the old stuff.

Intel 2018a is a different matter, because of the kernel issues with RH 7.4.  I
am under the impression that we should go for intel 18.1.  Not having a
foss/2018a would reduce the timing constraints when we release an intel/2018a.

Just a few thoughts for discussion.

Best wishes
   Joachim