> On 2 Jan 2018, at 17:58, Mikael Öhman <micket...@gmail.com> wrote:

   [ … ]

> But the existance of another toolchain is not a problem; sparsely populated
> toolchains versions are.
> With the combinatorics of at least 2 primary toolchains (foss/intel), 2 major
> python versions (3 when some software can be configured without python), and
> 2 releases per year, I feel we aren't doing anyone any favours.
> Configs are a collective effort, and I we are spreading ourselves thin here.

I would tend to agree with this, it is an extra effort to keep up with all
these toolchains.  Obviously, toolchains need to be updated, but perhaps doing
it twice every year is too much.  Is there a need for this?

Unless perhaps the “a” releases are considered kind of public beta versions,
and the “b” releases are stable ones :-)

Best regards

Jakob

--
Jakob Schiøtz, professor, Ph.D.