Ken,

Those of us who are based in United States and could not attend Fosdem 18 will
certainly appreciate these links and summary.

Thank you for sharing !

Best,

Umit

On 2/9/18, 8:29 AM, "easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be on behalf of Kenneth
Hoste" <easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be on behalf of kenneth.ho...@ugent.be>
wrote:

    Dear EasyBuilders,

    I wanted to share some highlights from last weekend's FOSDEM'18 open
    source meeting in Brussels (https://fosdem.org/2018/).
    Just so you don't get bored over the weekend... ;-)

    If you attended FOSDEM'18, feel free to mention additional talks you
    particularly liked that I overlooked...

    The full set of 550+ talks (!) from FOSDEM'18 is available at
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_QKjHDgmNzpckLNciogFQ79csbL4JtzN .

    Talks directly related to EasyBuild
    -----------------------------

    +++ How To Make Package Managers Cry (Kenneth Hoste, HPC-UGent) +++

         (I'm obviously biased, but I highly recommend this one in particular!)

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/how_to_make_package_managers_cry/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSemlYagjIU

    +++ Simplifying the contribution process for both contributors &
    maintainers - A case study of the GitHub integration in EasyBuild
    (Kenneth Hoste, HPC-UGent) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/contributor_automation/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcJB_Yc8kFM

    +++ Installing software for scientists on a multi-user HPC system - A
    comparison between conda, EasyBuild, Guix, Nix & Spack (Kenneth Hoste,
    HPC-UGent) +++

         abstract + slides
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/installing_software_for_scientists/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXkzecfC3c

    +++ Combining CVMFS, Nix, Lmod, and EasyBuild at Compute Canada (Bart
    Oldeman, Compute Canada) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/computecanada/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENPme3tyPk

    Other talks (loosely) related to EasyBuild
    ----------------------------------

    +++ Binary packaging for HPC with Spack (Todd Gamblin, LLNL) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/llnl_spack/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbW332fxGk

    +++ How compilers affect dependency resolution in Spack (Todd Gamblin,
    LLNL) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/spack/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mzPH4WKmY

    +++ Tying software deployment to scientific workflows - Using Guix to
    make software deployment a first-class citizen (Ludovic Courtès, INRIA) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/guix_workflows/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimSG1Vr5DQ

    +++ Modules v4 - Pushing forward user environment management (Xavier
    Delaruelle, CEA.fr) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/modules_v4/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFJ1xYQMesM

    Other talks by EasyBuilders
    -----------------------

    +++ Does data security rule out high performance? (Adam Huffman, Big
    Data Institute) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/data_security_vs_hpc/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGxZkxfNuM

    +++ The State of Containers in Scientific Computing (Georg Rath, NERSC) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/containers_scientific/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIhVgoCLBA

    +++ Slurm in Action: Batch Processing for the 21st Century (Georg Rath,
    NERSC) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/slurm/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQmaKi-Szqc

    +++ Behind the scenes of a FOSS-powered HPC cluster at UCLouvain -
    Ansible or Salt? Ansible AND Salt! (Damien François, UCLouvain) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/hpc_uclouvain/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4oPiQ2A0es

    +++ DOSEMU and FreeDOS: past, present and future (Bart Oldeman, Compute
    Canada) +++

         abstract + slides:

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/dosemu_and_freedos_past_present_future/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrROiqTSEI

    Other interesting talks
    -------------------

    +++ Python 3: 10 years later - Looking back at Python evolutions of the
    last 10 years (Victor Stinner, Red Hat) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/python3/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzvCakZEylE

    +++ Exploiting modern microarchitectures - Meltdown, Spectre, and other
    hardware attacks (Jon Masters, Red Hat) +++

         abstract + slides:
    https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/closing_keynote/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kCDPCgjlJ4

    +++ Why People Don't Contribute To Your Open Source Project (Mike
    McQuaid, GitHub/Homebrew) +++

         abstract + slides:

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/community_why_people_dont_contribute_to_your_project/
         recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FscQuW0EDI

    +++ Cyborg Teams - Training machines to be Open Source contributors
    (Stef Walter, Red Hat) +++

         abstract + slides: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/cyborg/
         recording: (pending)

    regards,